You’ll love painting our Fall light and color with Colley!
Australia certainly produces some terrific painters/instructors. Colley Whisson is a fine painter, and what a terrific instructor! His classes here have been wonderful, with students returning year after year!
Colley paints to give expression to visual ideas, not to copy nature, believing “it is not what you paint but how you paint it.” Capturing light, painting with quick precision to convey the clearest, purest message possible and always striving to put down a loose, spontaneous response, Colley loves to use his brush as he says: “…like Zorro’s sword, dashing in darks and marvelous highlights with all possible confidence and skill.”
Sounds like the Aussie he is…we are delighted to have him with us again!
Colley will work with you individually to help you establish a working foundation to support your exploration of the world of Modern Impressionism. He’ll address tonal values, color, composition and brushwork, giving special attention to the importance of edges and the play between hard and soft which give a painting subtle depth and drama. These are the tools that allow you to move into strong impressionistic expression.
His Plein Air demos will let you see his approach to painting outside; you’ll also have plenty of time to work on your own, with lots of individual help. And, he’ll likely do an interior, still life or demo from a photo demo to show how these techniques can enhance whatever you paint.
Colley is extremely attentive to his students..he will spend time with you daily, whether you’re in the studio or, as we hope to be, out on site. Make sure your Class Monitors know where you’re setting up outside so they an tell him, and keep in mind, the closer you all stay together, the less time he’ll spend going between one and another! Class tends to run a bit long: he is more than generous with his time!
Colley will conduct the workshop step-by-step so you can see him construct a painting from start to finish. He will then analyze yours, giving you an abundance of insightful information & tailoring an individual program to help assist your lift to the next level. He is a pleasure to study with, soft-spoken, full of info, attention and most generous with his time.
Colley’s relaxed Australian manner ensures his workshops are positive and uplifting, a great environment for learning! You’ll love working with him! We do!
Colley Whisson is an internationally recognized artist born in 1966 and raised in the northern regions of Brisbane, Australia. He started oil painting at 20 and held his first Solo Exhibition at 24. His early career was guided by his father, respected Queensland artist Eric Whisson. Colley has held over 25 Solo Exhibitions and has had many magazine articles, books and DVD’S published. He loves the challenge of pushing himself to find new subjects to paint. In the near future, he will travel extensively, to the USA, Europe, New Zealand, the UK, China, Russia & Greece, doing workshops along the way and happy to carry the tag as one of Australia’s finest Impressionist painters.
Some General Class Information:
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!