John Wilson, a founding member of the prestigious Australian Plein Air Painters group, will share his painting secrets on location and in our spacious Rockland Studio.
This is an amazing opportunity to enhance your ability to capture on canvas the beautiful coastline and nearby inland landscapes of Maine! If you are committed to advancing your skills, this is a workshop absolutely not to be missed…John is truly an extraordinary instructor and painter.
This will be a deeply informative workshop for the serious artist who wants to move their work forward in a focused class environment. John’s goal is to help you achieve a higher level of competence in all areas, through bringing paintings from rough sketch toward gallery ready. He’ll address subtleties of brush handling, tone, values, temperature, color mixing, composition, reflections, atmosphere, perspective and reflected light, just about everything you need to support your skills as a painter.
We will be painting all along the salty Maine Coast, by meadows, woods and fields. The workshop will begin with a short studio lecture on theory, followed by step by step demos on site and ample opportunity for personal painting where you’ll get attentive and ongoing personal time with John. He’ll hold your attention and his feedback is deep, personal & thorough. Over the week, your work will come to reflect the expertise he provides. Come with all your questions; there will be time for answers! John will provide a ton of info; it’s likely your progress will be huge as well!
John is an fascinating and highly accomplished instructor; we are fortunate to have him here again!
John Wilson is a highly respected and sought-after instructor/judge who has been painting for more than four decades. He is one of Australia’s leading oil painters, a multi-award winning artist who’s had more than 47 solo exhibitions, participated in numerous group shows and exhibited in London, USA, Japan, Canada, Beijing and Seoul. John’s paintings are in collections throughout Australia and internationally. His works have been reproduced extensively, including several articles in Australian Artist and International Artists magazines. He was included in “Fifty Australian Artists” and the Fine Art Book: “John Wilson Blue Mountains Artist,” is a Fellow of the Royal Art Society NSW and Patron of the Society of Mountain Artists. We are delighted to him teaching for us!
Check him out on FaceBook; he has posted a fine collection of photos there!)
Some General Class Information:
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool but will decide on that depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!