Fill a Studio with flowers, bring in a model with a fine hat and flowing scarf…set up the easels and let the magic begins! Janet’s 5 day Studio based workshop will be about capturing life with loose, impressionistic movement, gesture and color, and you will love it! She was one of my first instructors…and her students didn’t want to leave when the class was done! That hasn’t changed!Janet says: “I love the qualities of watercolor; I love its fluid nature. To me, the interaction of the artist with their medium is like a dance – full of motion, feeling and expression. Discovering new color and composition as the painting develops is my joy; I so love to see what develops in a painting…I’m always searching for new color and composition…”
Fresh blooms in the studio will be the inspiration for the beginning of this workshop…you’ll progress to impressionistic portraits in watercolor, either from the model, photographs that you’ve brought in or from Janet’s collection. She’ll lead you through a series of exercises where you’ll develop a loose and natural approach, becoming ever more spontaneous and expressive!
Janet will include a few drawing exercises for portraits of both adults and children (no child models in the class tho!) You may find just want to paint flowers; that’s fine; Janet will work with you individually on whatever you’re painting! She’ll demo and lecture as well during the week and you will leave full of inspiration and new tools! Everyone will have table space to themselves; we have dedicated instructor space and a demo mirror, and your Model Fees for this class are included in your tuition!)
Originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Janet currently lives in Ormond Beach, Florida. a Signature Member of the Florida Watercolor Society,and a Member with Excellence of the South Carolina Watercolor Society, Janet has won numerous awards including Disney’s Festival of the Masters. Her work is in galleries in Maine and Florida. Well known for her sensitive portraits of women and children, as well as her expressive floral paintings, Janet has gained much popularity as an instructor for many workshops and watercolor demonstrations in the United States and Europe, including Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival and classes in Italy and France.
Some General Class Information:
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!