Eric’s true inspiration is the amazing beauty that he sees in nature. He is a true Plein Air painter. taking his oils wherever he goes, setting up on site, working until his painting is finished.
“It is most important to me that my paintings convey a certain mood”, Eric says. “I want that to be felt by the viewer without them having to analyze or think about what they are seeing.
“As a general rule, I try to find strong compositions in nature and then paint the scene accurately while leaving out the extraneous details which busy up the painting, detracting from the strength of the piece as a whole. My painting process consists of finding a site and setting up to paint for a couple of hours, or until the light has changed. For larger paintings, I will return on consecutive days at the same time and under similar lighting conditions, to finish a piece.”
This workshop with Eric is an opportunity to hone your painting skills and expand your creative language, to see like a poet and unlock your true creative potential. During the four days, Eric will emphasize risk taking, abstract design and mark making, the three components to necessary to take your work to the next level and separate yourself from the pack.
For both oil and acrylics painters of all levels, the class will focus on the fundamentals of good painting as related to landscape painting: Composition; Focal Point; Value; Design; Motif; Color. Eric is full of tips for landscape painters; he’ll share thru informal lectures, instructor demos, group critiques and plenty of individual instruction. Come take a journey into new artistic territory… open up the possibility for a pure, honest and unique approach to your painting.
Eric Jacobsen was born and raised in New England. He received a BA in History from Gordon College in Wenham, MA in 1989 and studied fine art at the Lyme Academy of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, CT from 1991-1995. At the Academy he received training in the Beaux Arts tradition of drawing and painting from life.
“Movalli Gold Medal”, Rockport Art Association National Plein Air, MA
“Master Class Winner”, Art Muse, February
“Master Class Winner”, Art Muse, March
“Movalli Gold Medal”, Cape Ann Plein Air, Cape Ann, MA
“Petite Artist’s Choice”, Olmstead Plein Air, Atlanta, GA
“Finalist”, Boldbrush, FASO, October
“Second Place”, Pacific NW Plein Air, Maryhill Museum
“Peoples Choice Award”, Cape Ann Plein Air, Cape Ann, MA
“Artists Choice Award”, Paint the Peninsula, Port Angeles Fine Art Center,Port Angeles, WA
“Artist Choice Award”, Door County Plein Air, Peninsula School of Art, Fish Creek, WI
“While We Were Still…Flowers Bloomed”, Turner Fine Art, Jackson, WY
“30th Anniversary Celebration”, Mockingbird Gallery, Bend, OR
“Gibson, Jacobsen and Winegar”, Kneeland Gallery, Ketchum, ID
“National Plein Air Exhibition”, Rockport Art Association, Rockport, MA
“Art in the West”, High Desert Museum, Bend, OR
“A Painter’s Devotion”, Art On the Boulevard, Vancouver, WA
“Door County Plein Air”, Peninsula School of Art, Fish Creek, WI
“Three Man Show”, Kneeland Gallery, Sun Valley, ID
Eric Jacobsen, SouthWest Art Magazine, November 2016
Art on the Boulevard, Vancouver, WA|
Gallery 89, Steamboat Springs, CO
Ingram Fine Art, Wiscasset, ME
Kneeland Gallery, Sun Valley, ID
Mockingbird Gallery, Bend, OR
Phinney Gallery, Joseph, OR
American Impressionist Society(AIS), Signature Membership Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters(RM
Some General Class Information:
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!