Like the idea of getting a painting done all at once?
Here’s where you can learn invaluable tools for tackling Alla Prima painting…the “At One Go “ method of painting…with confidence! David Lussier is masterful at unraveling the secrets of this challenging, and very satisfying way to paint!
David offers this quote:
“In his remarkable treatise In Praise of Painterly Painters, the late artist, author and teacher, Charles Movalli, wrote; ‘Painterly painters are surrounded by seeming contradictions. They finish by not finishing, include by leaving out, paint more by painting less. Their means are easy to see, the results, immediately felt.’ How such seemingly insufficient means lead to these results is a mystery!”
But David believes that economy of stroke is within every painters grasp, if they are willing to approach the painting process with a ‘Less Is More’ mind set! You bring the mind set…he will show you the techniques!
You’ll explore in depth the method of Alla Prima painting, your goal with each painting to see your subject as shapes of color and value, not as individual objects. When you look at a subject this way, you can react quickly, making the confident marks on the canvas that are uniquely an expression of your individual self.
In this 5 day class, David will do a daily demonstration and and lead discussions on composition, design, value and how to capture light and atmosphere in your paintings. His individual attention will help you focus on developing your “painter’s eye” and the skills to make your personal artistic statement. Beginners to experienced artist are welcome. Should the weather not cooperate, we’ll work in our studio with its big windows and great views of the harbor down the road. Your time inside will be well used!
David is known for his sophisticated color sense, poetic brushwork and his ability to convey emotion in a painting. His ‘Less Is More’ approach to painting has garnered him numerous accolades throughout his long career in plein air painting. In his poetic and intimate oil landscapes David strives to capture the essence and sense of place of his subject matter. His use of bold broad brushwork brings the surfaces to life and begs the viewer to return for a second look. He is an extremely knowledgeable instructor, who can reach students at their own individual level. David’s workshops are filled with demos and plenty of hands on instruction. He never asks his students to do anything that he has not demonstrated or explained first in the workshop. Composition, values, color, brushwork and edge control are all a part of his step-by-step approach.
In order to ensure plenty of individual instruction at the easel, this workshop is limited to a maximum of 16 students. When she is not involved with her own painting commissions and projects, David is assisted by his wife Pam. Pam is an award winning plein air painter, talented and knowledgeable, who brings a second pair of eyes and skills to assist the workshop student. Together they make up an exciting and amusing team and are known as the original”Plein Air Pair!”
David Lussier is an award-winning contemporary impressionist and nationally recognized plein air painter and workshop instructor. A painter in the purist sense of the word, David was trained in classical realism at Paier College of Art in Hamden CT. He started his career as a commercially trained illustrator, but quickly realized that his passion was in the fine arts.finding his true calling in plein air landscape painting.. Painting professionally for decades, he has garnered more than 75 prizes for his work and is in numerous private and corporate collections throughout the United States. His work has been featured several times in professional art publications, and he holds professional memberships in many art associations and groups in the country. David is also an official U.S. Open artist for the United States Golf Association; four of his paintings hang in the permanent collection of the USGA Museum in Far Hills New Jersey. He has competed extensively throughout the United States in both juried and invitational plein air competitions and has been juror for numerous events. In 2019, David will be a juror of selection for the Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition held in Canandaigua NY in June, and the overall juror of selection and awards at Paint Ocean City MD.
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!