It is SO hard to wait for Frank to come back each time…we’d have him here every year if we could!
In this 4 day class, Frank will introduce you to his secrets for painting his luminous watercolors. He’ll share his secrets and the advanced techniques he uses to create atmosphere, balance and unity with the skilled manipulation of tonal values, color and edge.
He will cover laying down basic washes, as well as the time sensitive, challenging wet-on-wet and dry-on-wet approaches that let you capture the great variety of textures in the local landscapes, coastal areas and cityscapes where we’ll paint during the week.
Frank’s demonstrations and thorough explanations will address the challenges of composition, direct color mixing, positive and negative painting as well as your ‘state of mind’ while painting.
He’ll do daily demos, working in stages with lots of discussion which allow you to fully absorb every aspect of his technique. This class is in Belfast which has a great variety of painting sites around town and nearby; we have a big studio should the weather not cooperate! You’ll have plenty of time to paint on your own, and to get focused individual feedback. Prepare to take home a great selection of new skills that will enhance your future work!
Frank grew up in Europe and was mentored by Italian master painter Renato Casaro in 1994 and 95. In the ’80s and ’90s, he worked as a professional illustrator for video cover sleeves and as a commissioned portrait artist, Primarily a Plein air painter, his love of travel has given him prime opportunities to paint: he lived for three years in the south of France, and has painted on location in Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Germany and other countries. Frank is an award-winning watercolor artist and Signature member of the American Watercolor Society (AWS), the National Watercolor Society (NWS), the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and Watercolor West (WW). He is a juried Artist member of the prestigious California Art Club. He conducts workshops and demonstrations both lin the US and internationally.
104th Annual Gold Medal Exhibition CAC, March 29 – April 19, 2015
USC Fisher Museum of Art, Los Angeles
American Watercolor Society, 148th Annual International Exhibition, New York City, NY: April 6 – 25
103rd Annual Gold Medal Exhibition April March 30 – April 20, Autry National Center, Los Angeles California.
American Watercolor Society, 147th Annual International Exhibition, New York City, NY: April 2 -20
Winner of the High Winds Medal Award with ‘After the ride’
3rd Annual Plein Air Salon competition, winner Dec/ Jan with ‘ I dream of sheep’
TWSA 38th National Exhibition, Kenosha, WI: May 4- August4, 2014
Society of Watercolor artist, May 20 to June 22, Juror’s award with ‘ Like a fish outta water’
NWS Member show, San Pedro CA, June7-August17, 2014
Eau en Couleur – International Watercolour Biennial in Belgium, August 15 – September 7, 2014
Exhibition at Studios on the park, Paso Robles CA, August 14 to September 06, 2014
San Diego Watercolor Society Annual International Exhibition, October 1 – 31, 2014
Watercolor West 46th International Exhibition, October 11 – December 14, 2014 Winner of the Jean Seybold Award
with ‘Orange Shadows’
35th Annual International Exhibition of the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society, November 8, 2014 – February 8, 2015
San Diego Museum of Art, 2nd Annual Plein Air Exhibition, October 10 – November 9, 2014
Exhibition at Studios on the park, Paso Robles CA, December 1, 2014 – February 1, 2015
International Artist magazine feature: October / November 2012
SOME GENERAL CLASS INFORMATION:
- We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!