In this workshop, Aline will explore painting in pastels and/or oils, by exploring the properties of color (value, intensity, temperature), technique, design…and more…the capture of the magic of light! As she describes it:
“I am drawn to light…that flicker on the shoulder as a figure enters a sunlit space or the way light enters between the trees and then diffuses its color to the surrounding leaves.”
Aline’s intent is that you learn to see everything in terms of its abstract qualities of shape, color and value, that you learn to recognize and respond to that light magic, and be able to create an illustrative painting. Art has become for her a synthesis of teaching and painting where she learns more about painting as she teaches; they are equal passions for her. Creating a safe space for students to succeed or fail as they learn to love the process of creating a painting is as important for Aline as creating a successful painting of her own. You will benefit from her daily demos (she’ll do them in both mediums if needed,) thoughtful individual attention and clarity of explanation.
It has long walls with big windows and great views, good light and all the amenities…the day could be an Indoor Plein Air adventure! Inside or out, this will be a fine class in skills, techniques, and capturing the color of air & light!
Aline grew up outside New York City and received her early education at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, graduating in 1975 with a BFA. She subsequently moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and attended The Academy of Art College (now University) in San Francisco, receiving an additional BFA in illustration and teaching figure drawing there for 8 years before moving to New England, the Upper Valley of Vermont and New Hampshire. A Master Pastelist with the Pastel Society of America and a Master Circle Pastelist with the International Association of Pastel Societies Aline’s work has appeared in several publications, receiving Awards in the Pastel Journal’s top 100 pastels in 2010, 2013 and 2016; she was the subject of an article in 2012. In 2017 she received the Prix de Pastel in the International Association of Pastel Society’s National Juried Exhibition. Aline fell in love with oil painting and began entering competitions in this medium, receiving awards in The Artist Magazine’s Top 100 paintings in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2016. In 2018 she was awarded signature membership in the Oil Painters of America to accompany her signature membership in the American Impressionist Society. Aline currently teaches workshops throughout the country and Europe and was honored to be a presenter at the Plein Air Conventions of 2016 and 2017. She was a workshop and demonstration presenter at the 2019 International Association of Pastel Societies. Her work is in a number of galleries around the country.
Some General Class Information:
We will make sure you know our 2021 Covid protocols well ahead; please be assured that we will do everything we can to provide a safe environment for you! Compliance with our protocols is required. We’ll decide on carpooling depending on necessary 2021 Covid protocols.
- We‘ll process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt. A $300 deposit will hold your space. Cancellation and Refund info is at the bottom of the Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- We’ll send a Supply List and more detailed info after you Register, and again about 2 weeks before the class. Print and tuck into your painting kit…then you’ll know where to find it all! It has the answers to most of your questions!
- If you will need mediums, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy when you get to class. You are also welcome to ship materials to arrive the week before…ask about details!
- The first day, the Studio will open at 8:15 AM… Classes run M-F usually between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…always an average of 6 hours/day, but starting and ending times may vary according to your instructor.
- We always have a 1 hr lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting. We order in the AM and deliver to your location…you pay in cash on the last day before you leave!
- Our Studios are large, with good light and waterviews; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to stay and paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- The Plein Air plan for the day is weather-dependent and decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or more likely, when we meet in the Studio each morning! Make sure your Class Monitors know where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- There is free parking at the Studio building, which is within a few blocks of downtown.
- We usually carpool (or sometimes walk if it’s close) to Plein Air painting sites, many of which have shade and at the least, a porta-potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions. Please, do NOT depend on your GPS unless we say so!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor (or two!) as your Go-To person for any problems or needs…please ask…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown in both locations has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint, many accessible to the single painter that a class can’t utilize…if you can, take a look around!
- For Lodging (scroll down for Belfast) and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- If you have any problems, tell us!! We can’t fix anything if we don’t hear till you get home. Be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!