- Belfast ME
- July 31 to August 4, 2017
- Watercolor Plein Air
- All levels
- Tuition: $650
( Tony is also teaching a 10-day class for us in Provence Oct 13-23…click here for details!)
Tony is back in Belfast this year! We love painting there: a tiny, quirky city with endless scenic painting sites, boats everywhere and wonderful architecture, good food and fun shops! Tony ferrets out delightful places to work and we have good studio space for back up if the weather doesn’t smile upon us!
. Tony packs his class with solid, useful information about all aspects of Plein Air watercolor painting, drawing on his decades of experience and delivers it all with verve! A master instructor…the clarity of his instruction is reflected in the clarity of his work: vignette, sketchbook or full rendering!
Tony‘s ability to graphically explain problems and solutions as they arise during demos, combined with his enthusiastic teaching style, make him a highly popular instructor, appreciated for his empathy with student struggles. He has “been there” and knows the frustrations well!
Van Hasselt, who grew up in The Netherlands, worked in display and graphic design prior to his arrival in the US. He pursued in evening classes and later on a full-time basis under Frank Reilly, a popular teacher at New York’s famous Art Students League. In 1963, as one of the first pioneers in the field, van Hasselt organized workshops worldwide, taught by artists he admired. In this way, his idols, John Pike, Edgar A. Whitney, Robert E. Wood, Tom Hill, Milford Zornes and Rex Brandt became his mentors and friends in art. Elected to signature membership in the American Watercolor Society, van Hasselt’s has had paintings featured in Southwest Art, American Artist and Australian Artist and on the covers of the Artist’s Magazine and Watercolor Magic. His work is included in nine art instruction books. Tony first wrote A Studio Visit, followed by Outdoor Watercolor Workshop. He is the co-author of Painting with the White of Your Paper and The Watercolor Fix-It Book, which features The Building Blocks of Painting, a visual reminder system he teaches in all his workshops. It keeps artists on track during the painting process and after, analyzes problem areas to be resolved.
Some General Class Information:
- Most classes will be limited to a maximum of 16 to allow for optimal individual attention; do make sure your instructor knows where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- We will process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt.
- You will get a Supply List and more detailed info when you Register, and again about a month before the class. The first day, the Studio will open early…we will make sure you know the time!
- If you will need mediums or other supplies/equipment, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy in class. You are also welcome to ship things ahead. Ask for the address!
- Classes usually run M-F, between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…never fewer than 6 total/day, but sometimes we start earlier or end later…or both!
- We eat dinner (Dutch) somewhere as a group at least once, usually Monday nite for starters; friends, companions, hosts are welcome to come along.
- We always have a lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting.
- The plan for the day is weather-dependent and usually decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or each morning!
- Our Studio is large with good light; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- There is ample free parking at the Studio, which is within easy walking distance of downtown.
- We carpool (or sometimes walk) to painting sites, most of which have shade and at the least, a porta potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions and we often caravan. Please do NOT depend on your GPS unless we give the Go Ahead…It is often wrong!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor who is your Go-To person for any problems or needs…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint!
- For Lodging and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- Cancelation and Refund info is at the bottom of the online Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- And be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!