- July 17 to 21, 2017
- Oils or Pastels
- All Levels
- Tuition: $650
Join nationally-known artist Michael Chesley Johnson and learn how to paint landscapes on location! Each day, you’ll start in the studio going over some basic principles and exploring the fundamentals for painting outdoors – how to begin, how to proceed and how to finish. We will then head out to one of our great Mid Coast painting sites so you can put to use the tools Michael has discussed.
This is a class for all levels, but a comfortable familiarity with your medium of choice is highly recommended
On site, Michael will do a demo to show you his method for “capturing the moment” quickly and efficiently while retaining the mood and magic of this beautiful area. You’ll have plenty of painting time to practice your new skills and Michael will make it around to everyone, offering an abundance of personal help. He’ll demo at least once each day, in either oils or pastels and will lead several group critiques during the week. You can expect an intense, challenging, informative and very rewarding time!
One of the country’s top plein air painters, Michael works in oil and pastel in the American Southwest, coastal Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. He has been an invited artist to many national plein air painting events over the years and has competed in challenging locations such as the Grand Canyon. Elected a Master Pastellist by Pastel Artists Canada in 2008, he is a Signature Member of the American Impressionist Society, the Pastel Society of America and a juried member of Oil Painters of America. He is the author of Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel and Through a Painter’s Brush: The American Southwest. A long-time contributor to The Pastel Journal and Contributing Editor for The Artist’s Magazine, he lives, paints and teaches on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, and in Sedona, Arizona. Michael also specializes in teaching small-size plein air workshops in oil and pastel for the intermediate and advanced level painter and for painters desiring mentoring.
Some General Class Information:
- Most classes will be limited to a maximum of 16 to allow for optimal individual attention; do make sure your instructor knows where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- We will process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt.
- You will get a Supply List and more detailed info when you Register, and again about a month before the class. The first day, the Studio will open early…we will make sure you know the time!
- If you will need mediums or other supplies/equipment, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy in class. You are also welcome to ship things ahead. Ask for address!
- Classes usually run M-F, between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…never fewer than 6 total/day, but sometimes we start earlier or end later…or both!
- We eat dinner (Dutch) somewhere as a group at least once, usually Monday nite for starters; friends, companions, hosts are welcome to come along.
- We always have a lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting.
- The plan for the day is weather-dependent and usually decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or each morning!
- Our Studio is large with good light; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- There is ample free parking at the Studio, which is within easy walking distance of downtown.
- We carpool (or sometimes walk) to painting sites, most of which have shade and at the least, a porta potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions and we often caravan. Please do NOT depend on your GPS unless we give the Go Ahead…It is often wrong!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor who is your Go-To person for any problems or needs…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint!
- For Lodging and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- Cancelation and Refund info is at the bottom of the online Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- And be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!