- Rockland ME
- September 17 to 22, 2018
- Oils, Acrylics
- All levels
- Tuition: $650
In this class, you’ll work on the process of creating powerful, thoughtful works on location all around Maine’s beautiful Mid-Coast area. This is way more than a “how to paint stuff to look like stuff” class! It’s a class about creating with purposeful intent, deep thinking, about developing and perfecting an idea, refining your strengths and working to eliminate or at least reduce your weaknesses. It’s also about having Larry’s expert, energetic, humorous guidance all the way. You’ll love it!
Everyone comes with a different set of problems, strengths, and concerns. Larry will help you identify and perfect the basic components in a good painting: color, value, drawing, shape, form, edge, hierarchy, handling of the medium, brushwork, surface & narrative. Larry will focus the first half of the class on discovery and methods of execution, then move on to further refinement with purpose, concept and a system designed to get you there, wherever “there” might be, more quickly.
A great hint from Larry: Do get some drawing and painting experience under your belt in the months before you come; it will really help you! Since you have time between now and the class, practice drawing a lot but play with color separately. You’ll learn both faster and be on your game when you get here!
Larry Moore is an accomplished artist and instructor who brings a wealth of knowledge and creative problem-solving tools to the classroom, from his 35 years as a nationally recognized illustrator (Gold Medalist, Society of Illustrators, New York), and his 20 years as an instructor: (Illustration, Critical Thinking, The Visual Language, Color Theory, Finding Your Voice, Abstraction from Nature, Plein air classes galore and a variety of studio-based classes). He has worked extensively in every medium: watercolor, gouache, acrylics, pastel and his personal favorite, oil so he can help you no matter what you bring. Larry has spent 35 years as a Plein air painter and published articles in American Artist Workshop magazine, Plein Air Magazine, American Art Collector, Pastel Magazine and Create Magazine. He has honed his communication skills to express solutions in an understandable and digestible way so that you go home with tools to create on your own and be your own best critic. Larry has worked hard on developing practical color systems, methods and thought processes to both speed up the creative process and skirt the mental speed bumps we all have. He will demo in oil but can help you with whatever medium you choose to bring to the class.
Some General Class Information:
- Most classes will be limited to a maximum of 16 to allow for optimal individual attention; do make sure your instructor knows where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- We will process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt.
- You will get a Supply List and more detailed info when you Register, and again about a month before the class. The first day, the Studio will open early…we will make sure you know the time!
- If you will need mediums or other supplies/equipment, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy in class. You are also welcome to ship things ahead. Ask for address!
- Classes usually run M-F, between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…never fewer than 6 total/day, but sometimes we start earlier or end later…or both!
- We eat dinner (Dutch) somewhere as a group at least once, usually the first nite; friends, companions, hosts are welcome to come along.
- We always have a lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting.
- The plan for the day is weather-dependent and usually decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or each morning!
- Our Studio is large with good light; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- There is ample free parking at the Studio, which is within easy walking distance of downtown.
- We carpool (or sometimes walk) to painting sites, most of which have shade and at the least, a porta potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions and we often caravan. Please do NOT depend on your GPS unless we give the Go Ahead…It is often wrong!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor who is your Go-To person for any problems or needs…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint!
- For Lodging and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- Cancelation and Refund info is at the bottom of the online Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- And be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!