Note: This class is Tues-Friday!!
Your four-day class will take place in and around Rockland where there are abundant street scenes urban and rural, and easy access to both tiny fishing villages and famous scenic harbors.
Alvaro combines an expressive, strong, and colorful style with a superb interpretation of light effects, capturing the soul of the places he paints. A skilled, passionate artist, he regards tools (color, value & composition,) as subordinate to the priority of working from the heart, encouraging his students to develop the personal palette and techniques which express self & feelings, while honoring their own visual inspiration. He brings energy and excitement to the process of painting, demonstrating his full mastery of the medium & challenging his students to reach new levels of vitality and individual expressiveness in their paintings. He dances his way thru his paintings, explaining as he works what he’s doing and why…he’s introspective, articulate and…dramatic!
Alvaro leads a daily discussion about the making of a painting, but because he teaches primarily thru his demos and lectures, generally two well-developed paintings each day, the class is larger than most. He often make the rounds to see how you are doing, especially when we are painting in a defined area and is available on site during the day, (except for lunchtime!) to answer questions about your work…. be sure to ask!
Alvaro’s eye is sharp, his experience in evaluating work is extensive and he is always concise and to the point. He is a powerful personality and a magical painter. Four days of painting with him will change how you approach your work regardless of your style…and you will likely never forget the time with him!
ALVARO CASTAGNET was born in Montevideo, Uruguay (South America) and migrated to Australia in 1983. His early interest in art was cultivated mainly by his father, who, at a very young age, sent him to the National School of Art in Montevideo where he was taught by Professor Esteban Garino, continuing on at the Fine Arts University, with Miguel Angel Pareja.Two years after arriving in Australia, he was appointed Art Director of Melbourne’s Latin American Festival. His works have been acquired by private and corporate collectors worldwide. He has been holding solo exhibitions in Australia since 1985, and has won several prestigious national prizes, including: First Prize Alice Bale Award, and twice, First Prize St. Kevin’s College. In May 2003, the American Watercolor Society awarded him the “HIGH WINDS” award and medal, the first Uruguayan ever to win it. A member of AWS, the Old Watercolor Society and The Victorian Artist Society, he writes regularly for the Australian Artist magazine, The Artist Magazine USA & U.K, Watercolor Magic, several Dutch magazines and International Artist. He has published one book: Watercolor Painting With Passion, is working on the next one and has a new series of watercolor videos in addition to his earlier DVD’s and videos. He has been featured in the books: 50 Australian Artists; The Watercolor Landscape Techniques of 23 International Artists; Splash 6 & Splash 10, and is one of five members of the Winterlude Painting Group chronicled in the Winterlude Book, together with Nick Canosa, Patric Carroll, Herman Pekel & Joseph Zbukvic . He is also the subject of “Inspired Watercolour” & “The Passionate Painter in Antwerp” by APV films.50 Australian Artists; The Watercolor Landscape Techniques of 23 International Artists; Splash 6 & Splash 10;, and is one of five members of the Winterlude Painting Group chronicled in the Winterlude Book, together with Nick Canosa, Patric Carroll, Herman Pekel & Joseph Zbukvic . He is also the subject of “Inspired Watercolour” & “The Passionate Painter in Antwerp” by APV films.
Alvaro travels the world, painting, demonstrating, lecturing judging art competitions and attending exhibitions of his work. He has received multiple international and prestigious awards during the last twenty-five years including a win at the Shanghai Zhujiajiao Biennial Exhibition in competition with masters from China, Britain, USA, Russia, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Germany and Spain.. Fluent in many languages, including Spanish, Italian, and English, he is now based in Montevideo, Uruguay, with his wife, Ana Maria & their two boys, Gaston & Calvin.
Some General Class Information:
- Most classes will be limited to a maximum of 16 to allow for optimal individual attention; do make sure your instructor knows where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- We will process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt.
- You will get a Supply List and more detailed info when you Register, and again about a month before the class. The first day, the Studio will open early…we will make sure you know the time!
- If you will need mediums or other supplies/equipment, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy in class. You are also welcome to ship things ahead. Ask for the address!
- Classes usually run between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…never fewer than 6 total/day, but sometimes we start earlier or end later…or both!
- We eat dinner (Dutch) somewhere as a group at least once, usually the first nite ; friends, companions, hosts are welcome to come along.
- We always have a lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting.
- The plan for the day is weather-dependent and usually decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or each morning!
- Our Studio is large with good light; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- There is ample free parking at the Studio, which is within easy walking distance of downtown.
- We carpool (or sometimes walk) to painting sites, most of which have shade and at the least, a porta potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions and we often caravan. Please do NOT depend on your GPS unless we give the Go Ahead…It is often wrong!
- Each class has at least one experienced Monitor who is your Go-To person for any problems or needs…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint!
- For Lodging and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- Cancelation and Refund info is at the bottom of the online Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- And be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!