- Rockland ME
- September 4 to 15, 2017
- Oils Plein Air/Studio
- Tuition: Two separate weeks: 9/4-8 & 9/11-15...$695 each. Ask about the discount for doing both!!
This is the first week of John Wilson’s two weeks of teaching for us here: you may come for just this Week #1 Sept 4-8, or just for Week #2 Sept 11-15… or both! (and maybe take the optional trip to Monhegan Island in between!)
What John will cover in the 2nd week depends somewhat on how many continue on from Week 1 to Week 2; however, regardless of where you are in your development as a painter, he will tailor his instruction to meet your needs!
This is a great opportunity to enhance your ability to capture on canvas the beautiful coastline and nearby inland landscapes of Maine! John Wilson, a founding member of the prestigious Australian Plein Air Painters group, will share his painting secrets on location and in our spacious Rockland Studio. If you are committed to advancing your skills, this is a workshop not to be missed…John is truly an extraordinary instructor and painter.
A deeply informative workshop for the serious artist who wants to move their work forward in a focused class environment, it can be taken as either or both Week 1 or Week 2; John will tweak Week 2 to accommodate everyone, whether you have just joined or are continuing on from Week 1. His goal is to help you achieve a higher level of competence in all areas, through bringing paintings from rough sketch toward gallery ready. John will address subtleties of brush handling, tone, values, temperature, color mixing, composition, reflections, atmosphere, perspective and reflected light.
We will be painting along the salty Maine Coast, by meadows, woods and fresh water, & in our well-lit, spacious studio. The workshop will begin with a short theory session, followed by step by step demos and ample personal painting time with attentive and ongoing personal interaction with John. His quiet voice will capture your attention and his feedback is deep and thorough…your work will come to reflect the expertise he provides.
Come with all the questions as you can think of…there will be time for answers! The amount of information John can provide is huge; your progress is likely to be the same!
Each class is two full 5 day (M-F) sessions with a weekend break in between. Come for one, the other, or both! (Yes, there is a small discount for doing both…ask!!) We will plan an optional day trip to Monhegan on the Sat inbetween for students from both Week 1 and Week 2 (ask about details…you can also make your own arrangements to stay there overnight if you would like!) or, if you are participating in both classes, you can just use the weekend time to rest, explore or paint locally on your own! We’ll be happy to make suggestions for things to do and places to see! John is an exemplary and accomplished instructor; we are fortunate to have him back here again!
J O H N W I L S O N
John Wilson is a highly respected and sought-after instructor/judge who has been painting for more than four decades. He is one of Australia’s leading oil painters, a multi-award winning artist who’s had more than 47 solo exhibitions, participated in numerous group shows and exhibited in London, USA, Japan, Canada, Beijing and Seoul. John’s paintings are in collections throughout Australia and internationally. His works have been reproduced extensively, including several articles in Australian Artist and International Artists magazines. He was included in “Fifty Australian Artists” and the Fine Art Book: “John Wilson Blue Mountains Artist,” is a Fellow of the Royal Art Society NSW and Patron of the Society of Mountain Artists. We are delighted to him teaching for us!
Check him out on FaceBook; he has posted a fine collection of photos there!)
Some General Class Information:
- Most classes will be limited to a maximum of 16 to allow for optimal individual attention; do make sure your instructor knows where you have set up, and try to stay close to the demo area. Less running around for them, more time for feedback to you!
- We will process your payment after we get your online Registration and will email you a receipt.
- You will get a Supply List and more detailed info when you Register, and again about a month before the class. The first day, the Studio will open early…we will make sure you know the time!
- If you will need mediums or other supplies/equipment, let me know and I will have them here for you to buy in class. You are also welcome to ship things ahead. Ask for the address!
- Classes usually run M-F, between 8:30-4:30, but the exact hours are at the Instructor’s discretion…never fewer than 6 total/day, but sometimes we start earlier or end later…or both!
- We eat dinner (Dutch) somewhere as a group at least once, usually Monday nite for starters; friends, companions, hosts are welcome to come along.
- We always have a lunch break, to use or not, it’s up to you…and a lunch plan depending on where we are painting.
- The plan for the day is weather-dependent and usually decided at the end of the previous day if possible, or each morning!
- Our Studio is large with good light; you’ll have your own table space and you are welcome to leave equipment etc. there for the duration of the class. It is possible to paint after hours, we’ll explain the logistics!
- There is ample free parking at the Studio, which is within easy walking distance of downtown.
- We carpool (or sometimes walk) to painting sites, most of which have shade and at the least, a porta potty or nearby facilities. You will get good directions and we often caravan. Please do NOT depend on your GPS unless we give the Go Ahead…It is often wrong!
- Each class has an experienced Monitor who is your Go-To person for any problems or needs…we all will do our absolute best to see that you have a great class experience!
- Downtown has great galleries, shops and food and the area is full of wonderful places to paint!
- For Lodging and Travel info, click on the buttons on the Home Page.
- Cancelation and Refund info is at the bottom of the online Registration Form…(please do read the Policies before you check that you have!)
- And be sure to contact us with any questions. Thanks!